~ Honey Glazed Roasted Kampong Chicken ~
We often bake chicken breasts, drumsticks or thigh parts as we do not have a big family. Hence, chicken parts make it more often to the dining table rather than a whole big chicken. A week before Christmas I have decided to bake a whole chicken to make it a special treat and to liven up the family’s “Christmassy” mood, especially for my 2 years old girl who seems to utter a few words from the Jingle Bells song lyrics.
Since NTUC Fair Price has a poultry cutting service at the fish market section, I went to them and got this small “Kampong Chicken” just under a kilogram. When I told an assistant that I wanted a “Butterfly” cut, none of the staff dare to cut the chicken for me, except one. I can’t imagine if I have to cut the whole chicken myself. I have never cut a whole chicken before. Believe it or not! The lady who did the cut for me learnt that I was planning to bake the chicken. She warned me that “Kampong Chicken” is not for baking.
I am of the opinion that “Kampong Chicken” in both Singapore and Peninsular Malaysia are all too small and tender to be categorised as Kampong Chicken like those back in my hometown, Sabah but they are a little tougher than those widely available farm chicken. Therefore, I chose to bake “Kampong Chicken” instead of a farm chicken which are usually too fat and too soft to me.
The chicken was baked for 15 minutes on low heat and subsequently browned for 3 minutes on high heat. The juicy chicken baked released a good bowl of gravy which I then used to steam some asparagus for 1 minute with crushed garlic to make it a wholesome meal. I guess this dish could make it to our dining table all year round!
So, Christmas mode is on with a Honey Glazed Kampong Chicken. Who needs a Turkey?! Do you have your Christmas hat on too? Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Honey Glazed Kampong Chicken Recipe (Serves 4) :
- 1 Kampong Fresh Chicken, approximately 0.9kg (with Butterfly cut)
- 1/2 tablespoon Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 200 grams Asparagus (cut into 1 inch long)
- 2 cloves Garlic (whole)
- 4 thin strips Red Bell Pepper (for garnishing)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate Kampong chicken with salt and black pepper for 1 hour.
- Preheat AMC 24cm 5.0 liter Pot unit with Navigenio heat level “6” to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Use Audiotherm as an indicator by turning it on, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, indicating 50°C or “Meat Window”.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off Navigenio & Audiotherm. Remove lid and set pot on an up-turned lid.
- Place seasoned chicken into the pot and cover it with Navigenio turned upside down. Turn on Navigenio to bake on low heat level “-“ for 15 minutes. Activate Audiotherm and set 15 minutes to bake automatically.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Pour honey generously on the chicken skin and spread them evenly on chicken with a brush. Turn on Navigenio again to brown on high heat level “=” for 3 minutes. Activate Audiotherm and set 2 minutes to brown automatically.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Remove baked chicken on a serving plate and set aside. Pour residual liquid into a serving bowl and set aside.
- Add asparagus into pot. Add 3 tablespoons of the residual liquid to pot. Cover lid. Switch on Navigenio to automatic mode, “A”. Turn on Audiotherm and set 1 minute to steam. Activate Audiotherm by attaching it on the lid knob and indicate 80°C or “Carrot Window”.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Crush garlic into the asparagus and mix well. Arrange cooked asparagus all around chicken on serving plate.
- Garnish with red bell pepper and serve warm.
Tips : Believe it or not?! An AMC pot is the smallest and most efficient baking oven in the world! Instead of heating a baking oven with approx. 60 litres volume, you can bake cakes, pastries, cookies etc. in an AMC pot (approx. 3 litres volume) on the Navigenio for your family. You save 75% time and energy!