~ Braised Tomato Red Snapper ~
This is a dish my mum often prepared when I was little. It is one of my favourite as I love gravies. The hot tomato gravy goes very well with rice. I can have plain rice if I am given lots of gravy as a supplement to a meal.
Cooked tomatoes are four times more bioavailable to the body than tomatoes consumed raw. As such, I like these tomatoes, full of lycopene with lots of nutrients available to the body, be cooked into paste, I especially like cooking them in gravy to benefit from the multi-goodness.
In this recipe, I simply soaked the pan-fried red snapper into the tomato gravy and boiled for a minute. I first used a 24cm Hot Pan unit to pan-fried the fish and subsequently I cooked the tomato gravy with the same pan unit. Hence, the natural juices of the pan-fried fish left on the pan added flavour to the gravy.
Braised Tomato Red Snapper Recipe (Serves 3) :
- 1 Red Snapper approximately 350 grams (cleaned, halved & pad dried with kitchen towels)
- 2 Tomatoes (wedged into 8 pieces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoon Cooking Oil
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 inch Ginger (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 160ml Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Corn Flour (dilute in 2 tablespoons of water)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate red snapper with salt and pepper for 20 minutes.
- Preheat AMC 28cm 4.0 liter Hot Pan unit with Navigenio heat level “4” to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Use Audiotherm as an indicator by turning it on, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, indicating 50°C or “Meat Window”.
- When Audiotherm beeps indicating readiness for pan-frying, turn Navigenio heat level “2” and turn off Audiotherm. Add oil followed by red snapper into pan unit.
- Cover pan with lid. Activate Audiotherm, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, at 50°C or “Meat Window” for “Turning Point” indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps the second time at 90°C indicating “Turning Point”, remove lid and turn the red snapper to pan fry the other side of the fish.
- Cover pan with lid, turn Navigenio on heat level “4”. Activate Audiotherm at 50°C or “Meat Window”. When Audiotherm beeps at 90°C again, remove lid and turn off both Navigenio and Audiotherm. Dish out the pan-fried fish and set aside.
- Add garlic and ginger to saute. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, soy sauce and water into pan unit. Cover pan with lid.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm on lid, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set 1 minutes to cook.
- Add pan-fried red snapper, sugar and diluted corn starch. Repeat step 8 to braise for another minute.
- Serve with warm rice.
Tips : If you are cooking a bigger fish, you might want to braise it a little longer by adding a couple more minutes in Step 8, depending on how big your fish is.