~ Steamed Fragrant Ginger Chicken Brown Rice ~
I would really like to name this dish Hainanese Chicken Rice but I am not really sure if this fits into the traditional definition of Hainanese Chicken Rice as I have not selected a fat chicken nor poached the chicken to make the rice too oily. I also did not prepare any of the 3 crucial dipping sauce in a true Hainanese Chicken Rice. I simply savour my version in its most natural taste and flavour.
As my father-in-law is Hainanese, it is the family’s tradition having Hainanese Chicken Rice for the Chinese New Year reunion dinner. It is a new tradition to me as I did not grow up with it. I have always thought cooking a whole/half chicken is a big deal and it is for people with years of cooking experience in cooking up a storm for big families.
Out of curiosity on my culinary skill to handle a whole chicken dish, I tried cooking half a chicken to begin with. I have long been wanting to cook Hainanese Chicken Rice like an “adult”. Afterall, I have AMC cookware which guarantees success! The mildly salted chicken turned out succulent and the rice was truly flavourful. From now on, I will not hesitate cooking one whole bird.
Steamed Ginger Chicken Brown Rice Recipe (Serves 3) :
- Half a chicken (Approximately 750 grams)
- 1 Tablesppon Grated Ginger
- 1 Bulb Garlic (1/2 grated & 1/2 chopped)
- 1 Teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Sesame Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cup (150ml cup) Brown Rice (Approximately 300 grams. May vary depending on brand/type of brown rice)
- 450ml Water (May vary depending on brand/type of brown rice)
- 1 stalk Chinese Parsley (Garnishing)
- 1 stalk Scallion/Spring Onion (Garnishing)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate chicken with sesame oil, salt & pepper and grated ginger & garlic with their juice in an AMC 20cm Combi bowl for 20 minutes.
- Preheat an AMC 20cm 4.0 liter Pot unit with Navigenio on heat level “3” up to 60°C or “Carrot Window”. Add cooking oil and garlic to pan-fry until fragrant. Stir in brown rice to mix with garlic. Add water.
- Stack an AMC 20cm Steamer unit onto the pot with pan-fried raw brown rice. Place the marinated chicken with all liquid in the Steamer unit. Cover pot unit with lid.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on lid knob, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set on 25 minutes for 2 in 1 cooking.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm.
- Leave to cool for 10 minutes before chopping/cutting the steamed chicken into chunks. Garnish chopped chicken before serving with bowls of fragrant chicken rice.
Tips : With the use of steamer, juices and excess fat from the chicken dripped onto the rice cooking in the underneath pot. In 2 in 1 cooking, both dishes cooked together. You may try 2 in 1 cooking with uncountable number of dishes.