~ Lo Mai Gai (Glutinous Rice with Chicken) ~
As part of the classic dim sum family, “Lo Mai Gai” literally means Glutinous Rice with Chicken. It is one of the most filling dish served as a dim sum. So, family will usually order one to share given that there will be many other dim sum varieties available. Alternatively, one can just have a whole Lo Mai Gai to oneself to truly savour the delicious steamed gourmet.
Glutinous rice has very low amylose content with tightly packed molecular structure which makes it difficult to digest. Therefore it is not recommended to eat too much of glutinous rice at a time. It is also very sticky when cooked. Hence, giving it a certain level of challenge to cook. Cooking it too short a time may result in some uncooked portion at the center of the pot. On the other hand, cooking it too long will turn the rice too sticky for a good texture when chewed. As we all have precious little tummy, there is little room for “trial and error”. It is important to cook the “perfect” bowl of Lo Mai Gai, right at the first time.
I enjoy making Lo Mai Gai a meal for my family. It is success guaranteed with the use of the AMC automatic cooking system. As I always try to make a balance diet, I have coupled my Lo Mai Gai with 2 stalks of waterless kale on the serving plates. We have additional steamed waterless kale served separately too. That makes the meal more wholesome with recommended portion of daily vegetables intake! The coupling makes a great meal for a lazy weekend lunch, a perfect Sunday family lunch.
Lo Mai Gai Recipe (Yield 5 Ramekin Bowls of 6cm) :
A. General Ingredients :
- 250 grams Glutinous Rice (Clean and marinate for 30 minutes)
- 100 grams Chicken Breast (Sliced and marinate for 30 minutes)
- 5 pieces small/medium size Dried Chinese Mushrooms (Soak till soft & halved)
- 5 pieces Dried Lily Flowers (Soak till soft & cut into 1-2cm)
- 10 slices Bamboo Shoot (1cm x 2cm Cubed)
- 50ml & 200ml of Water
- Spring Onion (Cut into 1/2cm for garnishing)
B. Marinade for Chicken Breast, Mushrooms & Lily Flowers :
- 1 tablespoon Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 1 teaspoon Corn Starch
- 1/2 teaspoon Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
C. Marinade for Glutinous Rice :
- 1 tablespoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Arrange mushrooms, dried lily flowers, bamboo shoots and chicken at the bottom of each ramekin bowl. Scoop glutinous rice equally into all bowls. Add 10ml of water into each bowl.
- Add 200ml of water into an AMC 24cm 6.5 liter Pot unit. Place ramekin bowls into the pot in 2 layers, 3 bowls at the bottom and 2 bowls on top of a layer separator.
- Cover pot with AMC 24cm Secuquick Softline lid unit. Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on knob, indicating “Turbo” and set on 10 minutes to cook.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm.
- As pot depressurised, remove lid. Use a chopstick to run through the side of ramekin bowl to detach the side of glutinous rice from the bowl, turn bowl upside down to serve Lo Mai Gai on a plate, garnish and serve warm with 2 stalks of waterless kale on each portion.
Tips : You may also cook this with this with an ordinary AMC lid. All steps remain the same except step 3 where the setting on Audiotherm will be on 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set on 25 minutes to cook.