~ Fatless Braised Dark Soy Sauce Chicken ~
I was first exposed to the Braised Dark Soy Sauce Chicken at the tender age of five. It was my aunt W.C.’s cooking from Sandakan, known to be little Hong Kong in Borneo. My first response to seeing such dish was with an icky face because I associate anything black with bad taste. I have no idea how that comes about.
My aunt’s recipe was influenced by her mother, aka my late grandmother, who was Cantonese. That first bite on the chicken changed my perception on any dishes with black gravy. The warm and rich broth from some kind of sweet dark soy gravy on the chicken pieces has a space in my memory until today.
Drumsticks are the most succulent part of a chicken (if you are a drumstick person). It is smooth in texture when cooked compared to the other parts in a chicken. However, it can be regarded as an unhealthier part which contains more fat than the other parts too. I chose drumsticks to make this dish as it is easier for my toddler to eat on her own, during this time when we really want to encourage self-feeding.
The dish turned out to be great with my little girl eating up the whole drumstick on her own (as expected “wink”). Perhaps I will try cooking a whole chicken next time!
Fatless Braised Soy Sauce Chicken Recipe (Serves 4) :
- 4 pieces of Chicken Drumsticks (cleaned)
- A pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Ginger Powder
- 5 cloves Garlic (crushed with skin on)
- 2 cloves Star Anise
- 2 inches Cinnamon Sticks
- 3 tablespoon of Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of Light Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon of Oyster Sauce
- 2 lumps Chinese Rock Sugar
- 200ml Water
- A bundle of Chinese Parsley (garnishing)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate chicken drumsticks with salt and pepper for 30 minutes in an AMC 20cm Pot unit. Add garlic crushed bulbs with skin on.
- Slightly brown chicken drumsticks with Navigenio on heat level “3” up to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Switch on Audiotherm indicating “Meat Window” for readiness indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps, remove lid. Gently turn side to brown other parts of the chicken drumsticks. Add star anise, cinnamon sticks, sauces, water and rock sugar. Cover pot with lid.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic mode “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on lid knob, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set on 8 minutes to braise.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm.
- Garnish and serve warm with steamed rice.
- Meat browning with AMC Pots/Pans can be done without adding any oil. Hence, fatless cooking.
- Browning with the AMC Pots/Pans’ lid on up to an ideal temperature of 50°C, ensuring browning is not overly done and no pollution to the kitchen and home environment.