~ Cod Fish Bones Broth with Spinach & Mushrooms ~
Cod fish bones were on the shelf at NTUC Fair Price of late. When I saw them, both my eyes rolled big and I was magneted to that section. It is one of the rarest thing ever put on shelf (Well, at least in the past 2 ½ years when I frequented the supermarket, I have never seen them!). Without thinking twice, I grabbed a pack as it costs so much less for the same Omega-3 Fatty Acids we all seek for in cod.
Last week, I made cod fish broth and served them with some spinach flake noodles for our lunch. I pricked a reasonable amount of visible flesh sticking to the bones for my little girl’s consumption, while I sucked the marrows out of the bones! It was an awesome light soupy lunch knowing that our brain and heart were nourished with some Omega goodness. We loved it.
Fish bones included in broths or soups cooking is a big no, no for some adults, more so for young children. The delicate bones left in broths or soups by accident may be a choking hazard for both. It never crossed my mind that I would cook fish broth for my family given that it is so cumbersome to have to strain the liquid from the bones residuals, until I discovered using the AMC Softiera Insert unit in combination with my AMC Cookware which I can make my broths “bone safe” with no frills.
All I needed to do was to place all the fish bones or any ingredients that I do not wish to serve with the soup later into the basket like unit, immerse the unit into water in a pot unit and simmer. Once done, I just need to remove the Softiera unit of which I am removing all the bones in it with no additional straining required. It is a breeze.
I do not have a habit of cooking large amount of broth or soup stocks for later use. Hence, in this recipe I am using a small amount of ingredients in making the broth sufficient for a toddler and an adult. If you have a bigger family and wish to cook more, please be confident to multiply the ingredients listed or add any fish carcasses in this recipe accordingly.
The cooking method for bigger portion is exactly the same as this, except that you may want to ensure that the water level does not exceed the rim level of the Softiera Insert unit in order not to make the bones float outside of the unit. If the water level is higher, it defeats the purpose of separating the bones from the broth with this easy way. You can always add more water to dilute the thick broth later, if required.
Cod Fish Bones Broth with Spinach & Mushrooms Recipe (Serves 2) :
- 4 pieces Cod Fish Bones (cleaned)
- 200 grams Spinach (cut into 1 inch long)
- 1 small Carrot (sliced)
- 4 Shitake Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 bulbs Garlic
- 400ml Water
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Preheat an AMC 24cm Hot Pan unit on Navigenio with heat level “3” up to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Switch on Audiotherm indicating “Meat Window” for readiness indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps indicating readiness for pan-frying, turn Navigenio heat level “2” and turn off Audiotherm. Add cod bones into pan unit to pan-fry cod bones. Cover pan with lid.
- Activate Audiotherm, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, at 50°C or “Meat Window” for “Turning Point” indication. When Audiotherm beeps the second time at 90°C indicating “Turning Point”, remove lid and gently scoop out the cod bones from the pan unit to a Softiera Insert unit.
- Add carrot, garlic and water to the pan unit. Place the Softiera Insert unit with cod bones into the pan unit.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic mode “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on lid knob, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set on 15 minutes to simmer.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Remove Softiera Insert unit from pan unit and place it on the Softiera Dish unit. Add sliced mushrooms and spinach to the broth and simmer for another minute to cook (Repeat step 5 and set for 1 minute). Meanwhile, remove the cod flesh bits to be served (if desired).
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Serve the broth with any noodles of choice.
Tips : With the combination of AMC Pot, Secuquick Softline and Softiera Set, I can make all kinds of essence, ranging from Chicken Essence to Fruits Essence. The Softiera Set comes in 2 diameter sizes, either 24cm or 20cm. The set comprised of an Insert or Basket and a Softiera Dish. It is a must have accessory to maximize the benefits of the AMC Premium Cookware System.