~ Purple Sweet Potatoes Wholemeal Rolls ~
Now that I have had some hands-on experience with my previous post last year on Steamed and Baked Sweet Potato Buns, I am more confident with making more buns. Seeing my mum baked so many buns successfully recently, I have the urge to bake buns again too! So, I baked Purple Sweet Potatoes Wholemeal Rolls this time. They are good to be served for breakfast, snack or as dinner rolls.
Purple sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A and Potassium. A whole range of nutrition goodness packed in them too, including antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory properties. It is best consumed with some addition of oil added in order to make the nutrients more bio-available to our body, just like carrot as in the form of beta carotene. In order to retain as much nutrients as possible, I steamed them with minimal amount of water. Thereafter, I kneaded them with some wholemeal flour and some butter added to it.
As these homemade rolls are made without preservatives added, it is best consumed within 3 days. Some said that the rolls can be freezed and reheated later on but I have never tried doing that as I believe they are best consumed fresh. I made this portion as I had many extra purple sweet potatoes and did not want to waste them. I guess we can always half the ingredients to make a smaller portion proportionately.
Many are of the opinion that sweet potatoes buns or rolls are sweet. I have tried to taste the sweetness of these buns but my taste bud has not been able to detect that unless I consume the steamed sweet potatoes on its own. If I were to mix them with flour to make buns, I do not think the sweet potatoes taste as sweet as they are perceived but they definitely make healthy snack for my family.
These freshly baked rolls are crusty on the outside but soft on the inside, smell really good with a mild sweet potato taste. With the sunflower seeds added to them, the more I chew, the more I got addicted. It is not just my verdict but my hubby’s too!
Purple Sweet Potatoes Wholemeal Rolls Recipe (Yields about 20) :
- 100 grams Purple Sweet Potatoes (cubed 3 x 3cm)
- 60 ml Water
- 250 grams Wholemeal Flour
- 50 grams Sunflower Seeds
- 50 grams Butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Yeast
- 75 ml of Warm Water (add gradually to dough)
- A pinch of salt (optional)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Mix yeast, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon of warm water in an AMC 16cm Combi Bowl unit, close Hermetic Seal lid and let yeast mixture sit for 20 minutes.
- Cook purple sweet potatoes to mashable texture in an AMC 20cm 3.0 liter Pot unit with AMC Pressure Lid on Turbo setting for 3 minutes.
- Mix wholemeal flour with sunflower seeds and butter.
- Mix flour mixture with mashed sweet potatoes in a large kneading tray. Dig a hole in the middle and pour the yeast mixture. Add water gradually to ensure there is a balance in the water and flour mixture. Knead mixture until a dough is formed and not sticky.
- Divide dough into smaller portions. Half the dough all the way to your desired bun size. Roll the buns into round shape. (I made some Mickey shapes too.) Place rolls into 24cm Combi Bowl unit. Close Hermetic Seal lid and let dough sit and rise for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat AMC 24cm 5.0 liter Pot Unit (lid on) with Navigenio heat level, “level 3” up to 60°C or “Meat Window”. Activate Audiotherm on 60°C or “Meat Window” for readiness indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off Navigenio & Audiotherm. Remove lid and set pan in up-turn lid. Line Pot unit with a round baking paper to Pot. Cover Pot unit with Navigenio turned upside down. Activate Audiotherm and set to bake for 15 minutes.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Serve warm in a bread basket.
- As a matter of fact, an AMC Navigenio combined with any AMC Pot unit is the smallest and most efficient baking oven in the world. Instead of heating a baking oven with approx. 60 litres volume, you can bake cakes, pastries, cookies etc. in an AMC pot (approx. 3 litres volume) on the Navigenio. You save up to 75% time and energy!
- When using Navigenio upside down as a mini oven with an AMC Pot unit, always place pot onto an upturned AMC lid or any heat resistant base. This is particularly important when baking on heat sensitive surfaces such as plastic or antique furniture.