~ Pan-fried Turmeric White Pomfret ~
How time flies. It has been 6 months since I last posted a recipe for pan-fried fish and how it can be done without making a mess in the kitchen! This time round, as I was thinking of cooking a dish which helps to expel bloated tummies, I thought of cooking turmeric with a white pomfret that I bought with some tolerable freshness. We had Pan-fried Turmeric White Pomfret that satisfied the palates of all the family members.
In my hometown, Sabah, located at North Borneo Malaysia, pomfrets are often steamed as they are extremely fresh. From experience, most pomfrets in West Malaysia and Singapore could not beat the freshness like home. As my family members are unable to tolerate the fishy taste of these fishes, I often pan-fried them with some strong spices to mask the fishy taste and smell for better enjoyment.
I cook fish as a main source of protein for my family as it is an important nutrient in building and repair of cells and tissues. Do you know that protein is a “macronutrient,” just like fat and carbohydrates? This means our body needs a relatively large amount of Protein, unlike “micronutrients” which are the vitamins and minerals that are needed only in small quantities. Since our body does not store protein like how fat and carbohydrates are stored, we need to consume protein on a regular basis.
What happens when fish is cooked i.e. pan-fried with high temperature? Maillard (originated from a French term pronounced as “my yar”) reaction occurs when protein in foods are heated. The reaction destroys some of the food enzymes before cooking. This causes the browning effect in food and at the same time reduces the moisture in the food cooked. Hence, when the pan-frying method is used where higher temperature is used to achieve the effect for better flavour and aroma, protein in fish coagulates and harden as moisture is lost during the cooking process. For pan-frying fish to remain moist on the inside, the cooking temperature determines everything.
This is another pan-fried fish recipe tried and tested with the AMC Premium Cooking System where temperature can be monitored and controlled at 90°C at the fingertips. As a result, this Turmeric White Pomfret is aromatic and perfectly pan-fried on the outside, as well as flaky and moist on the inside. Every bite is full of natural flavors whilst soft in texture, making it a great source of protein even toddlers could munch on effortlessly. Rest assured, this makes more ingestible eats ensuring protein is sufficiently consumed for any fussy eater.
Pan-fried Turmeric White Pomfret Recipe (Serves 2-3 adults or 2 adults & 2 children) :
- 1 White Pomfret, approximately 300 grams (cleaned & pad dried with kitchen towels)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Turmeric Powder (a teaspoon on each side)
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate white pomfret with salt, pepper and turmeric powder for 20 minutes.
- Preheat AMC 24cm 3.0 liter Hotpan unit with Navigenio heat level “4” to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Use Audiotherm as an indicator by turning it on, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, indicating 50°C or “Meat Window”.
- When Audiotherm beeps indicating readiness for pan-frying, remove & turn off Audiotherm. Reduce Navigenio heat level to “2”. Add oil (swirl oil all over pan unit) and place pad-dried white pomfret into Pan unit. Cover Pan unit with lid.
- Activate Audiotherm, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, at 50°C or “Meat Window” for “Turning Point” indication. When Audiotherm beeps the second time at 90°C indicating “Turning Point”, remove lid and turn the white pomfret to pan fry the other side. Cover Pan unit with lid. Turn Navigenio heat to level “3”. Activate Audiotherm at 50°C or “Meat Window” again for “Turning Point” indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps at 90°C, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Leave fish in the pan for 5 minutes.
- Dish out the pan-fried fish and garnish if desired.
Tips : For the result of nice golden effect on pan-fried fish and for less of an oil-splat on & around the Navigenio and kitchen top, pad-dry both sides of the fish before placing it into Pan unit with heated oil. Cover the pan with lid when pan-frying fish with AMC Pan units for a better temperature control and a cleaner environment. Alternatively, choose to bake the fish with Navigenio. It is equally healthy and tasty!