~ Homemade Mango Sticky Rice Dessert ~
How long do you take to soak and cook glutinous rice? Have you ever cooked it unsoaked? Have you ever cooked it in 2 minutes after the boiling point?
I have always heard and read about the difficulties of cooking glutinous rice. One recipe requires soaking up to 4 hours before cooking while another requires soaking up to 24 hours. As I usually cook my meals pretty much on an impromptu basis, I seldom cook food that requires preparation hours before cooking. Hence, I have never cooked glutinous rice before this.
I learnt lately that glutinous rice can be cooked unsoaked in 2 minutes with the AMC Secuquick Softline. Therefore, I made the popular Thai dessert, Khaoniao Mamuang (Mango Sticky Rice) for a quick fix of dessert on a night we went out for dinner. It was so simple that I know I can make it again and again ensuring every serving is served fresh and warm.
The advantages of making your own sticky rice is that you get to cook according to your preferred texture and sweetness. I used to love Mango Sticky Rice mainly because of the sweet mangoes. Now that I have tried cooking the sticky rice myself, not anymore! I am enjoying the every grain of this glutinous rice too. They are perfectly cooked to tenderness with it’s natural rich aroma and chewy texture.
Mango Sticky Rice Recipe (Serves 6) :
- 150 grams of Glutinous Rice
- 300ml of Water
- 1 Bunch of Pandan/Screwpine Leaves
- 5 tablespoons of Brown Sugar
- 3 Mangoes
- 1ooml of Coconut Milk
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Rinse glutinous rice in a 20cm 3.0 litre Pot unit. Add pandan/screwpine leaves (tie a knot for easy removal) and add water into pot.
- Cover pot with AMC 20cm Secuquick Softline unit. Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on knob, indicating “Turbo” and set on 2 minutes.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm.
- When pot depressurised, add brown sugar, mix well and serve warm with chilled cubed mangoes.
Tips : Whether you are cooking just 100ml of glutinous rice or 1 kg of glutinous rice with the AMC Secuquick Softline lid, it will still take the same amount of time set on Audiotherm to cook. The only difference is to use a deeper or bigger pot accordingly. Whether it is a deeper or a shallower pot, you can use the same lid. It is all flexible!