~ Fatless Orange Honey Glazed Chicken Mid-joints ~
This is another chicken mid-joints recipe that I have cooked up during this tough time when my poor little girl has been sick with no appetite for food. I thought something citric and of sweet flavour would be able to help boost her appetite and it did help. She had 2 pieces after rejecting many meals before this. These succulent, juicy chicken mid-joints with tender texture, browned without additional oil added cooked under the perfect temperature of 98°C for 10 minutes, are truly magical!
At this point, are you in doubt when I mentioned that 98°C is the perfect temperature? During my cooking presentation sessions, when I mentioned cooking at the perfect temperature of 98°C, some raised eye brows and in doubt. Often, I am prompted with this popular question, “Is it safe to consume food cooked below 100°C?”. The answer is “Yes!”. The ideal cooking temperature for any food would be at the range of 70°C to 98°C.
In a publication on the World Health Organisation (WHO) website about 5 keys to safer food, there is a clear mention that studies have shown food cooked thoroughly even at the temperature of 70°C is safe for consumption as it kills most of the dangerous microorganism. When food is cooked just below the boiling point temperature or 100°C, moisture and nutrients in food are retained optimally. On the other hand, liquid in food will start to evaporate when cooked at 100°C or beyond. The longer the food is cooked at or beyond the boiling point temperature, the dryer the food and the more nutrients lost.
As the AMC system allows effortless cooking within the range of 70°C to 98°C with heat adjusted automatically, these chicken mid-joints are still juicy despite being browned for 10 minutes and coated with orange glaze thereafter. Cooking temperature within the pan measured through the built-in thermometer, Sensotherm, which is visible through the lid knob, Visiotherm, with heat controlled automatically, enables effortless healthy and tasty cooking. So, I can blog while I cook!
Fatless Orange Honey Glazed Chicken Mid-joints Recipe (Serves 3) :
- 9 pieces of Chicken Mid-joints (cleaned)
- 1 tablespoon of Light Soy Sauce
- A dash of Black Pepper
- 1 medium Orange (cut into half, reserve 3 thin slices for garnishing & juice the rest)
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- 1 teaspoon Cooking Oil
- 6 cloves Garlic (grate half & mince half)
- 1 x 1 inch Ginger (grate half & julienne half)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate chicken mid-joints with light soy sauce, black pepper, grated garlic and grated ginger for 1 hour in an AMC 24cm Hotpan unit. Place chicken md-joints’ thicker skin side down.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm, place on lid knob, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set for 10 minutes to brown and cook.
- When Audiotherm on the 24cm Hotpan unit beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm. Turn the chicken mid-joints to the other side. Cover with lid to brown with the residual heat.
- To prepare the orange honey glaze, preheat a 20cm Hotpan unit with Navigenio heat level “3” to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Use Audiotherm as an indicator by turning it on, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, indicating 50°C or “Meat Window”.
- When Audiotherm on the 20cm Hotpan unit beeps, indicating readiness for browning, turn down Navigenio heat to level “2” and turn off Audiotherm. Add cooking oil, minced garlic and julienned ginger and gently stir-fry. Pour in orange juice and honey. Cover Hotpan with lid and simmer up to 90°C.
- Add chicken mid-joints to the 20cm Hotpan unit and coat well with the orange honey glaze. Serve warm with steamed rice and vegetables of choice.
Tips : The smallest AMC Pot/Pan units are great for sauce preparation. The smaller units usually come in 16cm or 20cm in diameter. The smaller the better!