~ Salmon Radish Tofu Stew ~
I love picking up FOC recipes from the supermarkets. I think they give good inspiration for cooking of the day when you are lost while planning your day-to-day cooking for the family. I picked up an FOC pamphlet from Coldstorage with recipe inspired by chef Jimmy Chok sometime ago.
I grew up with a Cantonese ethnic cooking, Beef Radish Stew dish, by my grandmother. The stew made of star anise, cinnamon and five spice powder was my favourite when I was young. I loved it! However, due to health concerns, I cut down cooking red meat at home. When I first came across this Salmon Radish Stew recipe, it brings back the nostalgic memories of my grandmother’s recipe. It is like having old grandmother’s radish stew with salmon as a substitute for beef. Although not the same, the substitute is good enough to curb the craving of radish stew in my memories. How wonderful!
It occurred to me that I must try the recipe immediately. Hence, with some modification to the recipe from Coldstorage, I cooked Salmon Radish Tofu Stew tonight. I have finally pulled myself together tonight to do a little more complicated recipe which requires 2 steps to get done, pan-fried followed by stewing. The substitute of beef with salmon and the elimination of the spices as in my late grandmother’s beef stew recipe, it leaves the salmon stew dish with a clear aroma and taste of radish soaked into the salmon pieces.
As salmon does not require a long time to cook to tender unlike beef, the stewing time required is rather short. The pan-fried salmon cubes can be prepared in advance while stewing can be done whenever you are ready to call for a meal. It is an awesome dinner recipe for a quick fix after a long tiring day for all.
Salmon Radish Tofu Stew Recipe (Serves 3-4) :
- 300 grams Norwegian Salmon (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 1/4 Brown Onion (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 100 grams White Radish (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 100 grams Pink Radish (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 1 Carrot (cut 1-2cm thick)
- 1 pack of Soft Tofu (cubed 2cm x 2cm)
- 1 tablespoon Oyster Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Light Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Brown Sugar
- 100ml of Water
- A bundle of Chinese celery (garnishing)
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Preheat an AMC 28cm 3.0 litre Hot Pan unit with Navigenio heat level “4” to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Use Audiotherm as an indicator by turning it on, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, indicating 50°C or “Meat Window”.
- When Audiotherm beeps, it indicates readiness for pan-frying. Turn off Audiotherm, turn Navigenio heat level to “2” and remove lid. Add salmon cubes into Pan unit.
- Cover Pan unit with lid. Activate Audiotherm, place on lid knob/Visiotherm, at 50°C or “Meat Window” for 90°C or “Turning Point” indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps the second time at 90°C indicating “Turning Point”, remove lid and turn the salmon cubes to pan fry the other side.
- Cover pan with lid again. Activate Audiotherm at 50°C or “Meat Window”. When Audiotherm beeps for the second time at 90°C, remove lid and turn off Audiotherm. Dish out all pan-fried salmon and leave aside.
- With the same Roasting Pan unit, continue with browning all onion and all radish ingredients with the leftover salmon grease on the pan after pan-frying. Pour well mixed seasoning with water into pan. Cover pan with lid.
- Switch on Navigenio to automatic “A”. Turn on Audiotherm and place on lid knob, indicating 80°C or “Carrot Window” and set 10 minutes to stew.
- Add pan-fried salmon cubes and tofu. Mix well, repeat step 7 and stew for another minute.
- Garnish and serve warm.