~ Pan-fried cum Baked Italian Style Chicken Breasts ~
What is the definition of wholesome meal to you? My simple definition of a wholesome meal will be one with a well-balanced proportion of 6 basic nutrients group, carbohydrate, protein, fats, the multi-vitamins & minerals and water. For practical reasons, I translated that into a healthy plate or a food pyramid (of which the theoretical details are easily available on many websites). I can then be more confident in my daily family meals preparation.
The traditional Healthy Eating Pyramid serves me right all these years. The latest article on balance diet and great nutrition published by the Singapore Health Promotion Board in the form of My Healthy Plate is complimenting my cooking strategies. Both works well as a reference whenever I am preparing meals for the young and old alike in the family.
The article on translation of food pyramid to healthy eating plate somehow make me having chicken chop in mind for dinner. I don’t know how that comes about but that was what we had tonight!
The Asian chicken chop version I grew up with is traditionally known as chicken chop where the drumstick and thigh part is commonly used. As I grow older, cooking becomes more challenging as we become more knowledgeable in our choice of healthier food. Hence, instead of roasting/baking chicken drumsticks, I substituted that with chicken breasts these days.
I am pleased to share with you this recipe I learnt at the AMC Singapore’s Stay FIT with Zero Oil Frying Workshop conducted by Dr. Doris from AMC International, Switzerland, held on the 2nd May 2015. Aside from all the valuable nutritional information shared, I learnt a few Italian recipes and the “What & How” to make use of “Turning Point” too. It was such an awesome event! I will share more of these recipes and cooking method in my future posts. Meanwhile, let’s enjoy this zero oil pan-fried chicken chop, the fusion way!
Pan-fried cum Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe (Serves 2) :
- 2 Chicken Breasts (cleaned & pat-dry with paper towels)
- 1 teaspoon of Italian Herbs
- ½ teaspoon of Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Pepper
- 1 medium Tomato (sliced into 1/2cm thick)
- 80 grams Shredded Cheddar Cheese (or any preferred cheese)
- 1 teaspoon of Basil Flakes
AMC Healthy Cooking Method :
- Marinate chicken with herbs, salt and pepper for 10 minutes.
- Pre-heat AMC 24cm 3.5l Pan Unit (lid on) with Navigenio heat level, “level 6” up to 50°C or “Meat Window”. Activate Audiotherm on 50°C or “Meat Window” for readiness indication.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn down Navigenio heat level to “level 2”. Place the chicken breasts into pan and cover lid.
- Activate Audiotherm on 50°C or “Meat Window” for “Turning Point” indication. When Audiotherm beeps the second time on 90°C indicating “Turning Point”, remove lid and turn chicken breasts to the other side.
- Arrange sliced tomatoes on the chicken breasts and sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese on the tomatoes.
- Cover pan unit with Navigenio turned upside down. Turn Navigenio on lower heat level “-“. Activate Audiotherm to bake automatically for 10 minutes.
- When Audiotherm beeps, turn off both Navigenio & Audiotherm.
- Sprinkle basil flakes onto the piping hot cheesy chicken breasts and serve warm.
Tips : “Turning Point” is the point when the cooking temperature reaches 90°C. Audiotherm will beep the first time at 50°C, ignore and wait for the second beeping sound which indicates 90°C. At this temperature, all pan-fried items are ready for turning onto the other side without fuss! Don’t believe this? Try it out yourself!